Summary of Christian Beliefs
It’s hard to define what Christian belief actually includes. The following list is modeled after the Catholic Church requirements; other Christian groups may not agree with everything on this list.
- That there is one supreme, eternal, infinite God, the Creator of heaven and earth.
- That the good will be rewarded by him for ever in heaven, and that the wicked who die unrepentant will be punished for ever in hell.
- That in the Holy Trinity there are three Persons, coeternal, coequal: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- That the Second Person of the Holy Trinity became man and died on the cross to save us.
- The tenets of the Apostles’ Creed.
- The Commandments of God and of the Church.
- That the seven sacraments were instituted by Christ to give us grace; especially, that Baptism is necessary and that the Eucharist is a pledge of our future glory.
- That Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, which together form one sacred manifestation of the Word of God, are entrusted to the Church.
- God teaches us also through the Church, who in her teaching cannot deceive us or be deceived.